[c-nsp] POP interconnect via VPLS design question

cisconsp at SecureObscure.com cisconsp at SecureObscure.com
Fri May 28 21:31:43 EDT 2010

Good day everyone,

I am looking for a little design advice for interconnecting pop sites with
VPLS. I have attached an image to the email (compressed), as well as
uploaded http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6959/2547ovpls.png incase it gets
stripped out by the ML or a spam filter.

I have never ran MPLS over broadcast multipoint networks before to any
scale. I am curious as to what the impact would be to running OSPF and LDP
across anywhere from 5 to 20 pop sites through another providers VPLS cloud
as depicted. I understand there may be some scalability issues with the OSPF
DR in each cloud, as well as OSPF failure detection implications (need to
reduce OSPF timers).

I suspect that there are quite a few pitfalls that we are missing in
thinking through a design like this and would appreciate any input or
experiences people are willing to share on or off list.

We have already discovered that one VPLS provider may limit the amount of
multicast/broadcast traffic delivered to sites to ~2mbps. Will that greatly
impact us during IGP or LDP convergence?

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

John