[c-nsp] ios l2tp ipsec vpn help

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Sat May 29 23:37:39 EDT 2010

I'm struggling with getting a connection to our vpn service provider
from our 2821 router.  I would like to terminate the vpn on the router
so I can route certain traffic through the vpn.  Example info I got
from our vpn provider is:

address: vpn.provider.com
username: user
password: pass
l2tp shared secret: asdfasdfasdfasfd

They support l2tp over ipsec, pptp and sstp.

>From the research I have done so far, I have found that ios does not
support outgoing pptp connections, and I cannot for the life of me
find a working l2tp over ipsec configuration that makes sense.  I do
have an hwic-4esw card in the router that I am trying to make the vpn
connection from, so I'm wondering if that is where i'm having the
trouble....I'm also running NAT on the interfaces on this router,
which could also be part of my problem.

I'm a bit confused with the LAC, LNS, client-initiated, client peer,
lan to lan, etc, configurations on the Cisco site.  I'm assuming that
i should not be setting up my router as an LAC, but instead as a
client?

Does anyone know if this even works?  Or is the vpn support on an IOS
router only for router to router configurations?

Thanks,
Dan.