[c-nsp] Best practices for Cat6500

Justin Krejci jkrejci at usinternet.com
Mon Nov 1 13:11:18 EDT 2010

With regards to SSO-NSF and HSRP I've read documents on ciscos site that
conflict when discussing the use of NSF.

One indicates do not use HSRP and NSF together on the same box.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2s/feature/guide/fsnsf20s.html#wp1467556
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/nsfsso.html#wp1112624

I've read in another article (sorry, don't have the URL handy at the
moment but I think I saw in a PDF from cisco.com) that either implied
the use of NSF and HSRP together was OK thru config examples or
something or else explicitly stated the use of the to together is OK.

Can anyone comment on this conflict? Also does this conflict with NSF
also apply to GLBP which can be configured in a way to behave similar to
that of HSRP? The second link above makes comment of GLBP but the first
one does not. Is GLBP newer than the first article?

Thanks.