[c-nsp] SXI "LAN only" images, where did they go?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sun Nov 7 17:33:29 EST 2010

On 07/11/2010 10:51, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> I had similar issues with rommons and other files. Tac's answer was that
> the web team has made many tries but they cannot fix it.
> Here is what i decided : "guess" the filename and search for it.

If only there were another way of accessing the files which didn't depend
on this guess-work you talk about, along with the usual fancy browser crap,
javascript, interminable layers of HTML and the ever-looming threat of the
Java download manager.

There's nothing like trying to deal with all this stuff when you're stuck
on modem link into a server farm 500km away from your office at 03:00 in
the morning, and your client/boss is shouting at you because Things Are
Broken, and because there's no way of downloading stuff from cisco.com from
the command-line, you end up uploading your images via your 9600 emergency
access link.

Yes indeed, this is just the sort of situation where one develops instant
and very strong opinions about command-line accessible download services.

I know it's pie in the sky, but do you think there's a possibility that
Cisco could be tempted to create something like an FTP site, where you
could just log in with your username and see all the images associated with
a particular software release?  That would be such a simple and easy way of
cutting through all the irritating nonsense associated with the web site.

Nick