[c-nsp] 10G Router recommendations

chris stand cstand141 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:09:16 EST 2010

It is interesting that we are missing probably one of the more important
design criteria - what did the original poster want to DO with 10 Gb.

For me with a multi-building campus spread out between three adjoining
cities my desire to go to 10 Gb ports was not based on broken netflow
implementations or strange IP handling options or old GBICs ( ZR Xenpacks
are pretty cheap compared to X2 and with X2 you need a far, far more
expensive 6708 vs 6704 module(s) which can easily double the cost of the
chassis/6704 solution plus I don't think there is a ZR SFP+ gbic so buying
X2, Zenpack and 10G SFP+ line cards is _REALLY_ expensive for maybe just 1
or 2 ports on each )

Running additional fiber to get 2,3 or 4 1Gb links for etherchannel/lacp was
going to cost way more than just swapping out 1Gb parts for 10Gb parts and
device to device sessions would still be limited to a maximum of 1Gb
connection due to etherchannel limitations.  An extra dark fiber stand might
cost me $5K month PLUS install fees ... 10 Gb will pay for itself in 6
months or less if all I do is bump up my endpoints.

Maybe the guy just has one pair of OM3 fiber and can't run a 2nd and he
needs burts of greater than 1.5 Gb throughput between devices.

We all pointed out decent answers but it could be as simple a need as his
boss just came back from a Gartner meeting and is convinced that 1 Gb is
dead as a technology or a Government RFP requires 10Gb backbone even if it
runs at 7% utilization.