[c-nsp] bgp holdtime adjustment

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Wed Nov 10 15:29:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Chris Evans <chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is the port going down? Or it stays up during this failure.  Different
> failures require different mechanisms...

Correct, basically if you have to wait for the peer to timeout because there
was no interface state transition it takes 180s.  Also if you are peered via
loopback (admittedly strange for a provider link) the same will happen.  It
is actually recommended to have much shorter timers because of this fact.
 Try changing them to 10/30 or 15/45.  Also, with BGP the timers are
negotiated to the lowest value changing them should bring your upstream peer
along for the ride.