[c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

Benjamin Lovell belovell at cisco.com
Wed Nov 10 19:28:59 EST 2010

It's true. Bad things can happen. Primary one is buss stall. They are
not supposed to happen anymore but there are bugIDs out there that
prove they do. During buss stall we can't do forwarding lookups to PFC
(pretty sure DFC lookups still work). Even worse is that during buss
stall interrupts are disabled so packets can't be punted to the
control plane and BFD packets which are generated in interrupt context
can't be sent.

Usually these things happen for a short enough period of time that the
effects are minor or completely unnoticed unless you are running some
things with tight timers like BFD tuned down, OSPF fast hellos, etc

-Ben