[c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

Pierfrancesco Caci p.caci at seabone.net
Thu Nov 11 02:48:45 EST 2010

:-> "John" == John Neiberger <jneiberger at gmail.com> writes:

    > I ran into a problem with an OIR last night on a 7609. I normally
    > don't like to do them. I usually prefer to power the router down
    > first, replace/add the card and then power it back up. It caused all
    > sorts of fun when it failed the initial startup and had to be reset by
    > the system. Even then it was acting weird afterward for a bit until
    > the system stabilized. But I'm not asking for troubleshooting help.

    > I'm just curious to hear your thoughts on OIR on this platform. Is
    > this something that you prefer to avoid? Do you have any OIR-related
    > horror stories you'd like to share?

Never had problems with them so far. Just be careful to correctly
position the cards in their rails. Also, visually inspect the
connectors before inserting them in, and if you have the slightest
doubt about a pin being bent or whatnot, try the card in a spare
chassis first. We threw away (well, cisco did) one GSR backplane and 2
CRS chassis because the term "Hot Insertion" became literal: magic
smoke from the backplane is not good.

Ah, and of course check your power budget before adding new cards too.
(show power and related commands on 7600)

Pf