[c-nsp] ipv6 subnetting

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 12 06:40:16 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 04:29:49PM +0500, Good One wrote:
> just a quick one.. if you have a supernet of ipv6 like 2504:7000/32, and you want to slice it /64
> what is the easiest way to do that.

Patience :-) - takes a while for 4 billion /64 to be sliced up.

Seriously: this very much depends on your network structure.  I'd start
by chopping the /32 to /40s or /44 or something similarily big, and
allocate one of these to each of your major network locations - like
"per country" or "per city" or whatever aggregation points exist.

Then repeat - chop the /40 to /48, to allocate one each DSLAM / BRAS (etc).

Then repeat - chop the /48-on-BRAS to one-/64-per-customer (or one /56).

Most important: follow the aggregation points in your network, and do strong
and multi-level aggregation.  You do not want to have 4 billion /64 in your
internal routing.

(Oh, and configure your e-mail client right)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de