[c-nsp] Bridging Serial Interfaces

Antonio Soares amsoares at netcabo.pt
Fri Nov 12 19:50:22 EST 2010

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)
amsoares at netcabo.pt

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Todd Shipway
Sent: sexta-feira, 12 de Novembro de 2010 22:41
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Bridging Serial Interfaces

I've got a rather basic question, or at least I hope it is.

A customer is trying to migrate from a point-to-point setup to a
point-to-multipoint setup.  I'm trying to help them with this by supplying
serial and multilink ppp interfaces.  They want these interfaces to be
bridged.  I've got the interfaces up and running and when configured for
routing, they work fine.  But they have strange default routing policies and
need the bridging to be in place.  I setup the bridge-group on each of the
interfaces and set the protocol to ieee.

interface Serial9/0/0/27:0
 no ip address
 no cdp enable
 bridge-group 2
!
interface Serial9/0/0/28:0
 no ip address
 no cdp enable
 bridge-group 2
bridge 2 protocol ieee
I show the bridge group to be up and running as expected:
Bridge Group 2 is running the IEEE compatible Spanning Tree protocol
   Port 106 (Serial9/0/0/27:0) of bridge group 2 is forwarding
   Port 107 (Serial9/0/0/28:0) of bridge group 2 is forwarding

The routers at the remote end of the serial links are configured as
below....

Router1:
Interface serial 0
Ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.252
Router2:
Interface serial 0
Ip address 172.16.0.2 255.255.255.252
Both router1 and router2 are using the default route below:
Ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0

The issue is that no traffic will pass over the bridge.  Router1 is unable
to ping router2 and vice versa.  Any ideas as to what I'm missing with this?

Thanks,
Todd