[c-nsp] Are multicast MAC addresses allowed in the source field?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Nov 15 07:29:49 EST 2010

man, 15 11 2010 kl. 12:08 +0000, skrev Tomas Daniska:

> And I don't find it brilliant - why on earth I should multiply an unicast request?

If you want to have two servers handle a request in lockstep, you need
to duplicate it. Pretty much by definition.

If you have the switches do the duplication, you save having to buy a
dedicated duplication appliance ("load balancer") which itself can be a
single point of failure. This use was not foreseen in RFC 1812, which is
hardly surprising; many other features which we take for granted today
were not foreseen back then. The only problem is that no one bothered to
get RFC 1812 updated -- an obvious job for e.g. Stonesoft or Check
Point.

/Benny