[c-nsp] IPv6 deployment

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Tue Nov 16 03:27:20 EST 2010

Edward,

Some answers inline.

Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Edward Iong
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 08:14
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] IPv6 deployment

Dear All,

We are planning to implement IPv6 to our existing IPv4 network.

There are several things I would like to ask:-

1. Can IPv4 and IPv6 devices exist at the same time in the same LAN? and
can they communicate with each other?
[Arie Vayner] Yes, you can have IPv4 and IPv6 hosts on the same LAN, but
they cannot communicate with each other directly. Most likely what you
are looking for is to deploy your hosts in dual-stack mode, meaning they
would have, at the same time, an IPv4 and an IPv6 address, and the hosts
would select which one to use for a specific session (based on things
such as DNS or other higher layer information)

2. If both IPv4 and IPv6 devices can be in the same LAN, what kind of
rounting technology can route the ip packet?
[Arie Vayner] IPv6 can use most of the same routing protocols but with
some extensions. BGP, OSPF (v3...) ISIS and EIGRP can be used for IPv6.
Also, RIP (RIPng) is possible. It works more or less the same way it
does for IPv4, but there are some differences, and design considerations
for each of the protocols.

3. To route the traffic to the other LAN through WAN(MPLS), is it 6to4
will need to be in place?
[Arie Vayner] 6to4 is a tunneling technology for passing IPv6 traffic
through an IPv4 only transient network. Other tunneling technologies can
be used and each one has a different native application (for example
hosts in a corporate LAN would most likely use a different technology
than residential ADSL CPEs...)
Also, if you manage the MPLS core, then there are 6PE and 6VPE which
allow core networks to support IPv6 through MPLS.

4. To access internet, it points to our PIX  instead of PE router(MPLS),
so is it I will need to implement 6to4 as well(if ISP can only provide
ipv4 public address)?
[Arie Vayner] Most likely the right way would be to work with your ISP
(or other ISP...) to get IPv6 support... You could also use some
temporary tunneling solution.

5. We are using Microsoft IAS for Wireless connection and network device
access authentication. If we implement IPv6, will IAS support IPv6?
[Arie Vayner] No clue... sorry.
6. Will PIX support IPv6? will have many site2site vpn connection.
[Arie Vayner] You should look at ASA or maybe ASR1K

If anyone who has experiences in IPv6 implementation project, please let
me know as well.

Many Thanks,

Edward