[c-nsp] IPv6 deployment

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 16 04:25:46 EST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 06:13:47AM +0000, Edward Iong wrote:
> We are planning to implement IPv6 to our existing IPv4 network.

Good!

> There are several things I would like to ask:-
>
> 1. Can IPv4 and IPv6 devices exist at the same time in the same LAN?

Yes.

> and can they communicate with each other?

No.  That is: an IPv4-only device can not directly speak with an IPv6-only
device.  But your devices can be IPv4-and-IPv6 dual-stack, and speak
both protocols at the same time.

> 2. If both IPv4 and IPv6 devices can be in the same LAN, what kind of rounting technology can route the ip packet?

In the same LAN, no routing technology needed.  Between LANs, OSPF, EIGRP,
ISIS, BGP - whatevery you're used to.

> 3. To route the traffic to the other LAN through WAN(MPLS), is it 6to4 will need to be in place?
> 4. To access internet, it points to our PIX  instead of PE router(MPLS), so is it I will need to implement 6to4 as well(if ISP can only provide ipv4 public address)?

Don't do 6to4.  Either get your provider to provide IPv6, or change providers
to one that provides IPv6, or get a tunnel from a tunnel broker (he.net or
sixxs.net for example).

> 5. We are using Microsoft IAS for Wireless connection and network device access authentication. If we implement IPv6, will IAS support IPv6?

No idea.

> 6. Will PIX support IPv6? will have many site2site vpn connection.

PIX supports IPv6, but you might need a software update.  Dunno which
version IPv6 started.

> If anyone who has experiences in IPv6 implementation project, please let me know as well.

We're doing this since 13 years or so, so I'd count this as "some
experience" :-)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de