[c-nsp] mpls on RR ?

Marek Tyban mtyban at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:52:58 EST 2010

Hi,

I hope there is no reason to have MPLS enabled on RR. You know, packet
destined to RR is processed by control plane, so the MPLS header must be
stripped out anyway. In case of plain IPv4 over MPLS and MPLS/LDP enabled on
RR interfaces, then RR should act as egress LSR and egress LSR send implicit
null for their connected and summarized routes by default. It means that the
packet arrive at the RR as IPv4 packet. If you don't have MPLS enabled on
the RR the packet arrive as IPv4 again, so there is no difference and for
both cases the packet should transit MPLS Network as labeled/MPLS packet.

Best Regards,
Marek