[c-nsp] VSS and 3560, convergence measurement

Geert Nijs geert.nijs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:50:30 EST 2010

When i was  measuring VSS convergence, i actually noted that it is better to
use LACP or Pagp control protocol in active mode instead of putting a
portchannel in fixed status "on".
My explanation for this was: when a portchannel uses LACP or Pagp active
mode, it only starts forwarding from the moment BOTH sides have agreed on
the portchannel settings.
I have noticed that when both sides are ON, one side immediately starts
sending packets from the moment the interface comes up. The other side might
not yet be ready to forward packets,
therefore it drops packets. This brought down packet drops from 1.5 seconds
to 100 msec for me :-)

regards,
Geert