[c-nsp] GLC-LH-SM vs SFP-GE-L

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Nov 17 07:00:41 EST 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 6:27 AM, Tim Durack wrote:

> The issue of SFP compatibility has driven me up the wall and around
> the bend. Vendors will not change their anti-competitive behavior
> without external force. An external force I can apply, is money. So
> buy SFPs from OEM and instruct them to code the SFP as needed (they
> are making the SFPs for VendorC/J/H anyway.) There are plenty of
> companies who will do it, and they make a decent product. You may have
> to carry the burden of "testing" the SFPs.

I'm talking about Cisco sold optics.

Cisco doesn't support their own optics that they sell.  And I'm not talking about the 100M-FX stuff that doesn't work because the ethernet framer isn't gig+100, or 10/100/1000.

This isn't the issue of 3rd party optics coded as Cisco, but more that they have a warehouse of equipment that doesn't interoperate with itself that they keep shoveling out at the community.

- Jared