[c-nsp] ASR 9k and 100GE

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Nov 17 09:56:33 EST 2010

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, tim wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Short question about the ASR 9006/9010:
>
> Do I need to replace the switch fabric (or something else - like with
> the GSR/12000 series when upgrading to 12400/12800) when 100GE is
> available?  Or do I just buy a new 100GE Linecard and put it into the
> chassis?
>
> (We "found" some money in the budget for this year and are thinking of
> buying some ASR 9k with 10GE Linecards and replacing (one-by-one) some
> Cisco 12410.  Later these ASR 9k should carry 100GE links.  So if I need
> to make bigger upgrades to the ASR 9k to make them 100GE capable, it is
> probably not profitable.)

Yes and no. Depends on what you want to achieve... According to out local
Cisco representatives the forwarding capacity of the current ASR9K RSP
card is around 92 Gbps full-duplex. If you install a secondary RSP then
the capacity is increasing to about 184 Gbps since the 2 RSP is working in
active-active mode - both RSP is participating in the forwarding. If you
don't have single big 100Gbps flow then probably you can use the full
capacity of the 100GE card in a 2 RSP configuration, and handle most of
the traffic in 1 RSP configuration (Note: if the traffic volume is above
60-70% of the interface capacity, you can experience some traffic drops
due to a bursty nature of the traffic). However you should known what kind
of 100GE card will release Cisco - single or 2x100GE....

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Deputy Director of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882