[c-nsp] BGP timer jitter?

M. V. bored_to_death85 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 07:26:39 EST 2010

thanks Pete for your answer,

you're quite right, RFC doesn't say one must implement this feature. in RFC2119
the meaning of SHOULD is defined :

"SHOULD    this word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" mean that there may exist
valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the
full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a
different course."

1- timer jitters are very important for routers to prevent congestion, and
implementation of them are not complicated at all . i know cisco implemented
jitter in RIP, so there must be a good reason that they didn't implement it in
BGP. (plus, RFC says there must be a good reason if one doesn't implement one of
"SHOULD"s). does anyone know what could be the reason?

2- testing timer jitters are one of the mandatory tests of standard BGP
Conformance tests, (with conformance testers like Spirent, ...). and if a BGP
router doesn't have jitter in its timers, it gets a negative point for each
jitter test (for BGP, we have about 5 tests for different timer jitters). so why
do they do it when it's not a MUST. shouldn't they just get BGP Conformance
result based on "MUST" features of RFC?

Cheers!