[c-nsp] "Incremental" config save w/ "archive config..."

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 06:14:31 EST 2010

On 23/11/10 20:57, Jared Mauch wrote:

> The next-gen sup can't come out soon enough IMHO, as you know the
> s720 is quite long in the tooth.  the same goes for all the IOS
> infrastructure behind it.  You should make sure you talk to the right
> people in NSSTG about the fact that you actually care about how fast
> things like NVGEN happen with your config.  I think a reasonable
> benchmark is sub 2 seconds.  Anything above that is too long.

Agreed; unfortunately the CPU specs I've seen don't give me confidence
that we're going to see that big a jump in performance (although maybe
IOS improvements will speed things up too).

I'd like to see boot times <60 seconds too, which they could accomplish
if they speed up the AWESOMELY SLOW compact flash interface, and adopt
some solution to booting linecards which isn't based off internal TFTP!
Again, I doubt we'll see that kind of speedup - the solution Cisco will
push will probably be NSF/SSO which is fine except when the bugs
propagate through NSF/SSO (e.g. FIB corruption), and of course the
increase in cost!

> Also, are you intending to use the config replace/rollback capability
> that comes in conjunction with the archive commandset?

Not really. At the moment a faster (but safe) alternative to "wr mem"
would suffice.

> We've noticed a number of defects there that have not been easily
> addressed.

Yeah, the stuff all seemed a bit buggy when I tried it under the initial
release of SXH. I may revisit it on our test box, but the problem with
things like this is the bugs may only show at the worst possible time :o(