[c-nsp] Service agreement warning for EOL hardware

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Fri Oct 1 05:06:06 EDT 2010

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 01:42:22 +0200, you wrote:

> "End of new service attachment - November 2006". You could buy a
> router in November 2002. Then, four years later you decided it was
> a last call for extending the life of your network.
> By either renewing yearly the service contract during the entire
> lifetime of your 3640, or calling in an inspection from Cisco to check
> if they can register the new service for gear that is currently not
> covered by any service, you could then in November 2006 go into
> 5-years contract to support the box just before the 'last date to
> order a new service-and-support' was hit.

Last Date of Support for the 3640 was November 2007. It is correct
that you could extend an existing contract or buy a new one November
2006... but you couldn't do that for 5 years, only 1 because EoL
(LDoS) was November 2007.

Ref:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d840.html

> However, it seems that your problem is not related to the way how Cisco
> treats it's customers, but to downloading the software from CCO with no
> valid contract to cover the specific hardware platform :)

I agree with the OP that there's no way one could have a valid service
contract on a 3640 today.

-A