[c-nsp] BFD and IPv6 on 6500?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Oct 5 05:29:05 EDT 2010

On Monday, October 04, 2010 11:52:19 pm Gert Doering wrote:

> (NB: what about BFD for ISIS - how will that behave in a
> dual-stack environment?  The feature is called "IS-IS
> support for BFD over IPv4", but I assume that an
> IPv4-BFD-triggered outage will kill the whole IS-IS
> adjacency, thus taking down IPv4 and IPv6 forwarding on
> that link.

I've never tried it, but I think this could be possible if
you operate IS-IS as a single Topology (ST).

If you're running IS-IS in multi-toplogy (MT) mode, the v4
and v6 RIB's should be fairly well-divorced, as congruency
of the address family across the topology is no longer a
requirement.

> This *might* be a reason to change IPv6 IGP
> to ISIS...)

I think you mean to "not change to..." :-), non?

Anyway, MT decouples v4 and from v6 in IS-IS, to some
extent. I always recommend running MT in dual-stack networks
when implementing IS-IS. Highly useful when turning up v6 on
a link that previously didn't have it.

Cheers,

Mark.