[c-nsp] Limiting Interface Traffic

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Oct 6 05:20:28 EDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 09:11, Per Carlson wrote:
> There are three things with the design of the box I'm not that happy
> with (but now I'm probably just nit-picking):
>
> 1) Use of SFP+ instead of XFP-optics (no 40km optics at FCS, "never"
> anything beyond 40km)

It's a LAN switch.  If you want a metro switch, get something with deeper
buffers.  And you don't really want to run a 40km link on SFP+ either.

> 2) Double depth of the switch (compared to ME3400E, Catalyst 35xx)

minor pain.  Not going to get upset about it, as the switches still fit
into an 800x600 cabinet.

> 3) Power connectors in the back, network on the front (I really like
> the ME3400E design)

Again, don't care where these are, but I'm pleased that Cisco have finally
built a general purpose access switch with onboard dual PSU.  Personally, I
found RPSs to be insufferable.

Nick