[c-nsp] Forcing "point-to-point" PIM operation over Ethernet

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:42:33 EDT 2010

We have a bunch of multicast devices connected to dozens of gigabit
ethernet interfaces. Because it is Ethernet, a PIM DR is elected.
These devices occasionally go in and out of service at an
administrative level. When the device becomes administratively active
again, a PIM DR election occurs again. For some reason, and Cisco TAC
doesn't have an answer for this, this causes a link up/down trap for
that interface to be sent to our NMS, which pages our on-call people.
Very annoying. I'd like to find a way to have these Ethernet links
treated as point-to-point links, but I see no such command.

Can anyone here think of a way to do this? I'd really like to stop the
whole DR election since we can't figure out how to stop the traps.

Any thoughts?