[c-nsp] Forcing "point-to-point" PIM operation over Ethernet

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 00:19:35 EDT 2010

Ah, that explains it. I guess I need to brush up on PIM.  lol  That's
scary, since I deal with it every day.  heh heh...  I guess I had OSPF
on the brain.  I have a TAC case open with an NMS engineer right now.
This is a really frustrating issue for us. It creates all sorts of
false positives. We don't want to disable traps entirely because then
we'll miss all the important ones, but it sure is a pain to deal with
all the false alerts.

My suspicion is that PIM DR elections usually only occur when a link
changes status, so maybe that part of IOS assumes that if a DR change
occurred, a link status change must have occurred, so send a trap! I'm
hoping we'll figure out a solution.

As always, thanks!
John