[c-nsp] Fighting Spam and IP Blacklists as an ISP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 7 16:10:33 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:04:56PM +0000, Felix Nkansah wrote:
> I like to know of an effective solution for blocking transiting spam
> originating from downstream subscribers, in the ISP network.

Disallow outgoing connections on port 25.  Require transmission via
the ISP mail server, and impose limits on the maximum amount of mails
per hour / pre day that the subscribers can send.

Potentially require relaying via an Ironport box to filter out outgoing
virus infections right away.

*Monitor* the subscriber activities and disconnect those that get infected.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de