[c-nsp] Need help with setting up ip multicast routing...correction

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Oct 11 16:37:32 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 04:14:23PM -0400, Steven Pfister wrote:
> Thanks for your help... I think I almost got it but I'm running into a problem. It turns out the encoders on the remote site aren't connected directly to the 4506, but go to a 2960-48TC-L first. The IOS on that switch doesn't seem to support ip multicast routing and I tried to find one that does (I had to upgrade the switch the servers are connected to). Does the 2960 not support multicast routing? All other switches involved see pim neighbors now.

The 2960 is a L2 switch.  It can't do unicast routing either...

The catch with L2 switches is that they're likely to flood all multicast
to all ports (as if it were broadcast) unless the support PIM snooping to
understand "what goes where".

gert

PS: this thread is again showing signs of lazy quoting.  No need to quote
the previous 5 articles in full, adding new text on top of it - all of us
have seen all of the previous mails as well.
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de