[c-nsp] Crash iBGP on 7600 during mVPN reconfiguration

Anrey Teslenko teslenko.andrey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 12:14:30 EDT 2010

Hello Rob,

I didn't think that "snowball of route-churn/high cpu" was a reason of
problem,
because after each command I looked  statistic of cpu and waited for
normalization load.

In addition, when I first encountered this problem I just  perform command
"no ip vfr IPTV" (only one vrf instanse) and the router, where i did this,
is not bsr or rp candidate and have no problem with cpu.
However when i used workaround of CSCse41600 ( I tried investigate this
after reload,  becouse did not do  "wr mem" ) the problem isn't repeated.

I repeated this is step by step on bsr-candidate also (this is other router,
also 7604), where I observe high cpu utilization. But how i said above:
"after each command I looked  statistic of cpu and waited for normalization
load".

#sh processes cpu
CPU utilization for five seconds: 59%/54%; one minute: 61%; five minutes:
61%

How you see the cpu usage is far to 100%, but befor implementation MVPN
normaly cpu was used to 5%.

I have also another router, which is RP-candidate (also 7604, SRE2), and cpu
utilisation on it lower 5%.
This router also participating in MVPN

>> Did you investigate the high cpu on the bsr-candidate node before
starting down this process of ripping out vrf relavant configs?

 I tried execute fallowing commands:
 On both RP & BSR:
 mls rate-limit multicast ipv4 fib-miss 10 100 (doesn't help)
 no ip pim v1-rp-reachability (doesn't help)

Then I removed first router from bsr-candidate and second one from
rp-candidate,
so I  am not left bsr or rp in my network  any more.
Note: Source multicast was switched off all the time

When this not help. I tried undress multicast configuration on router
which was BSR step by step (slowly).
And how i wrote below  only after comand "no  mdt default"
(vrf wasn't yet deleted) the casus occured.

In logging output i observed
The First --- all LDP sessions are down
%LDP-5-NBRCHG: LDP Neighbor 213.xx.xx.xx:0 (10) is DOWN (Received error
notification from peer: Holddown time expired)

The Second -- status for all iBGP sessions are down ("clear ip bgp *"
doesn't help)
Note: the status eBGP sessions was UP

BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 213.xx.xx.xx Down Peer closed the session