[c-nsp] Need help with setting up ip multicastrouting

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Oct 12 13:45:10 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 17:08 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:50:09AM -0400, Steven Pfister wrote:
> > That makes sense... igmp snooping seems to be enabled, but it still
> > isn't working. Is there something else that needs to be done to the
> > 2960?
>
> Since there is no IGMP between routers, IGMP snooping can not be
> helpful here.  Chance is that it's actually *eating* the multicast
> packets and waiting for IGMPs to show up to tell it where to send
> which packets...

I don't know much about multicast, but aren't routed multicast packets
sent as L2 unicast between multicast routers? I'm just guessing here,
but I don't see why routed multicast traffic would need to have the L2
group bit set.

I that is the case then a switch in between two PIM interfaces shouldn't
need to know anything about multicast.

--
Peter