[c-nsp] LNS alternative to 7200?

Tom Devries Tom.Devries at rci.rogers.com
Fri Oct 15 09:44:14 EDT 2010

We were running 7200 NPEG1 terminating around 3000+ sessions at a
small-ish ISP I worked for.  The CPU was way too high and we off-loaded
the LNS function to an open-source platform called L2TPNS running on a
couple of HP DL380 linux machines.  These did the job well for the
bandwidth we offered (256k, 512, 1024 etc.).  Additionally the software
supports multicasting for failover of the cluster, and user
gardening(fw).  I know it`s not a Cisco solution but it was one that
worked for us quite well at the time, and scaled better than any router
at comparative cost point.