[c-nsp] Relaying the ipv6 pd prefix from ADSL to internal routers

George Manousakis george at mang.gr
Sat Oct 16 11:30:50 EDT 2010

Let's say that I have an adsl router (#1) connected to an ipv6 isp provider.

Via DHCPv6 I could get a dynamic /48 prefix on my internet router, and I
could use it wherever I want to on #1 since I have the /48 prefix matched on
a general-prefix variable. That way I can have 2^16 /64 lans on router #1.

What if I want is to relay that specific /48 prefix to another router (#2)
that has an Ethernet connection with router #1 in order to serve ipv6 lans
on router #2. The interface of #2 that is connected on #1 gets an ipv6
address with a prefix of /64 and #2 gets ipv6 internet connectivity but no
other interfaces can be configured because the prefix of the isp is not
known to #2.

Its seems to me to a very common case scenario but I haven't found any
configuration example.

You can configure a dhcp server of #1 but you can only announce dns, domain
and STATIC local ipv6 pools. I want to announce the dynamic ipv6 pool that
is stored on #1 and is assigned from the ISP.

How can I do that???

Thanks in advance