[c-nsp] 12.4 for 7205vxr npe-g2 recommendation?

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Sun Oct 17 07:03:37 EDT 2010

I can try and provide a generic direction for NPE-G2 software selection
options.

If you look at the NPE-G2 data sheet here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341/product_data_sh
eet0900aecd8047177b.html

You would see the following list of software that can support it:
* 12.4(4)XD
* 12.4(11)T
* 12.5M-In future
* 12.2SB
* 12.2SRC

This is list is somewhat outdated, as it was published when the NPE-G2
was released (a few years back...)

Out of the list above, I would suggest looking at the following software
trains:
- 12.2SR, which includes the bleeding edge SP features. This would most
likely be for SPs using the router for things like BRAS, PE, BGP RR etc.
The latest today is SRE2, but SRD is also quite common.
Also, many use the 12.2SB train, but it has been converged with SR, and
if you are looking for the latest features, you would have to migrate
from 12.2SB to 12.2SR

- 12.4T/12.5M, which are more main line trains (12.5M is the direct
evolution of 12.4T), which have a more common base of features, and
would usually be considered more enterprise oriented. As the number goes
higher, you would have more features and it would be more cutting edge.
Many of the releases have long maintenance release plans, so you would
find many rebuilds (for example 12.4(15)T is now at 12.4(15)T14, which
means that many bug fixes went into it)

Arie