[c-nsp] SLA tracking, what do you ping?

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Wed Oct 20 10:39:22 EDT 2010

I've answered this on a previous post, here's an example of what I use

======================================
ip sla monitor 1
 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.1.1.1
!
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now
!
track 1 rtr 1 reachability
!

ip sla monitor 2
 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 2.2.2.2
!
ip sla monitor schedule 2 life forever start-time now
!
track 2 rtr 2 reachability
!

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.1 100 name track 1
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 2.2.2.2 200 name track 2

As long as 1.1.1.1 is available, it's routing will be valid because the smaller administrative distance, if not, then the second one will become active.
In any case, you'll always see only one routing line in table.
You could add a few more using the same principle, just bear in mind, ip sla is a bit resource consuming, so you better not use it deliberately.

Hope this helps,
Ziv