[c-nsp] IPv6 ND cache via SNMP

Carlos Vicente cvicente at network-services.uoregon.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:09:35 EDT 2010

On 10/18/10 5:03 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
> Is anyone out there polling the IPv6 neighbor discovery cache via SNMP?
>  I am mainly interested in getting the cache from 6500s running SXI4a on
> the VS-720-10GE-3C.  In earlier IOS versions (on different platforms, I
> believe), this was done using the interim CISCO-IETF-IP-MIB
> (specifically cInetNetToMediaTable), but it seems as though this should
> all have been merged into the new RFC 4293-compliant IP-MIB.  However,
> with ip.ipNetToPhysicalTable, I get 'no such object'.
> ipv6NetToMediaTable (part of the IPV6-MIB) works great on JunOS, but not
> on cisco (also 'no such object').  It's not clear from the MIB locater
> if this is even supported in SXI4a--looks like not.  Are we really still
> that far from IPv4/IPv6 feature parity?
>
> Currently what I am doing is scraping "show ipv6 neighbor" via RANCID
> and shoving it into a flat file for processing and insertion into a SQL
> DB.  But...yuck!  This would be a lot cleaner with SNMP--and far fewer
> moving parts.  One perl script could easily poll and push into SQL all
> at once.
>
> If anyone has further insights, or working OIDs on this platform, let me
> know.
>
> michael

Hi Michael,

There has been some recent work on SNMP::Info for this:

http://snmp-info.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/snmp-info/snmp-info/Info/Ipv6.pm?view=log

This means it should be available in future versions of Netdot (aiming
for 1.0) and Netdisco.

I can successfully get the ND cache from our 6500s running SXI4a using
that code in my tests.

Regards,

cv