[c-nsp] q-in-q mtu

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Thu Oct 21 06:24:05 EDT 2010

Problem is the DEC chip found on PA-FE-TX , it has a hard limit of 1530
PDU (i.e on the wire, with headers), IOS prevented you changing the mtu
on the interface (which is usually the SDU, i.e without the ethernet
frame overhead) because it was so close to the edge, but with advent of
"tag-switching mtu" you were allowed to "bleed" into this space,
in later releases they abandoned tag-switching mtu in favour of just
letting the user configure the mtu directly up to the 1530 limit (but
woe betide you if you configured it 1530 as this is the assumed SDU and
hence had a PDU >1530!)

Dave.