[c-nsp] OSPF design

Rin rintrum at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:24:51 EDT 2010

Hi group,

We need to design a MPLS network that has around 100 nodes (7600) divided
into Core, Aggregation & Access layer. OSPF and MPLS is deployed up to
access layer. According to Cisco, an OSPF area should have no more than 50
nodes in order to minimize the database. With that concept, we should design
our network into different areas, say Core & Aggregation in Area 0, Access
nodes in area 1. However, I reckon separating the network into different
OSPF areas without summarization at ABR cannot minimize OSPF database, all
routers still receive routes advertises by other routers. If we do
summarization at ABR, MPLS cannot work since this is a continuous MPLS
domain.

So my question is should we separate the network into different OSPF areas
as Cisco recommendation or should we keep all routers in an OSPF area 0?
Note that we intend to provide MPLS L2VPN, L3VPN on this network; we can
only use OSPF, ISIS is not an option.

Thanks,

Rin