[c-nsp] OSPF design

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 08:51:15 EDT 2010

> According to Cisco, an OSPF area should have no more than 50
> nodes in order to minimize the database.
Its a pretty rough figure. Basically the larger the ospf database, the
longer it takes to do dijkstra. It's not a hugely complicated
algorithm and most cpu's can handle fairly large calculations quickly.
The challenge with putting everything into a single area is each time
something flaps, the algorithm will be run. This can cause issues
depending on the model of router and what is running on it -
especially if there are lsa's for unstable links in the db.

Are you planning on putting customer routes into ospf? how are you
planning on passing customer's vpn routing information - bgp??

> If we do summarization at ABR, MPLS cannot work since this is a continuous MPLS domain.
How would this stop MPLS from working?

Heath