[c-nsp] Cellular Modem on Aux

Peder peder at networkoblivion.com
Fri Oct 22 17:40:19 EDT 2010

Is anybody using cellular modems (ATT, Verizon, Sprint) on aux ports of
routers for backdoor access if the main T1 (or whatever connection it is)
goes down?  I still see ATT and other managed service vendors using regular
US Robotics modems and analog lines and I would think cellular would be a
better way to go.  If there is a cable cut, there is a good chance the
analog line will go down too.  My home security system uses a cellular modem
so it is clearly inexpensive enough, so I would think it would be possible
for backdoor router access too (I don't mean failover for connectivity, just
remote access to the router itself).  I know Cisco makes 3G cards, but I
want something outside the router as I want to be able to get access if the
router croaks too.  I've googled around and didn't really find anything.

Peder