[c-nsp] SDM templates

Bill Blackford BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us
Thu Oct 28 16:57:46 EDT 2010

Ok, stupid questions about SDM.

When I issue a 'sh sdm prefer' I see that my 3560 is using the "desktop default" template. When I issue 'sh sdm prefer routing' I see that I get less MACs and more IPV4 routes. This all begs the questions:

1. Is this showing me what resources are allocated to the TCAM (IOW, in hardware) and anything exceeding is punted to the CPU?

2. In both cases above, I'm shown that "This template optimizes the resources in the switch to support this level of features for 8 routed interfaces and 1024 VLANs." Does this mean that the 9th routed interface is punted to the CPU as well?

3. Does "routed interfaces" mean just that or is it also referring to SVI's?

Thanks,

-b

--
Bill Blackford
Senior Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo priviledges