[c-nsp] Question about manually configuring 1000/Full on Cisco switches

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 20:08:04 EDT 2010

I contend (with no proof whatsoever) that manually configuring
1000/Full on Cisco switches doesn't really do anything since
autonegotiation is required by the 1000Base-T standard. I don't
believe that manually configuring these settings actually disables
autonegotiation. I know others who feel differently and still like to
hard set each side of certain links, apparently thinking that
connectivity issues they're seeing are the result of autonegotiation
errors (which I disagree with for other reasons.)

Anyway, can you settle this? Let's take a Cisco 4948 as an example.
Does manually configuring 1000/Full on an interface really do much? If
so, what exactly does it do? Does it behave in a non-standard way by
disabling autonegotiation?

Thanks,
John