[c-nsp] 7600 dies a fantastic death - What went wrong?

Sascha Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Wed Sep 1 00:53:24 EDT 2010

Morning,

> PSes with "Output Fail" red lights.  Upon close investigation it looks
[...]
> Has any seen two PSes seemily die at the same time?  Deep down I think

I *think* (read: I might be wrong but) that the PSes also switch off
and show OUTPUT FAIL when the router is shutdown from the supervisor.
I have seen this e.g. on a 6509 (what was the difference between the
7600 and ... just kidding) that got shutdown from the Sup720
because there was no high speed fan-tray 2 in the chassis after
300 seconds or so. The 6509 made a *click* and was off. PSes showing
OUTPUT FAIL.

So this might be a software/hardware problem you are seeing but not
related to the PSes.

-Sascha