[c-nsp] Cisco Routers: Performance benchmark

bored to death bored_to_death85 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 10:55:48 EDT 2010

hi,

thanks for the reply.

the document you pointed out
(http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf)
 was good for the start, thank you. but it was very limited.
it just had the result for switching of 64Byte frame packets, not any static or
dynamic routing results nor any results about other frame sizes.
as i know, the normal frame size of ordinary networks are 1500Bytes which is
very bigger than 64Byte. for example, in this document, the maximum switching
throughput for a 2821 router is ~90Mbit/s which is very low for a gigabit router
(of course it's because of very small frame size).

we have universal RFC 2544 for performance benchmarks of network devices like
routers , etc. i was wondering and it's just a thought, shouldn't cisco or other
vendors give performance specifications of their products based on this RFC or
other standards? doesn't the customer need to know for example in his/her normal
network, what is the throughput of this router with say static routing or else?
aren't these information important for the buyer? if yes, are any documents with
these information exist?

thank you.