[c-nsp] Cisco Routers: Performance benchmark

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 1 14:03:54 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:55:48 pm bored to death
wrote:

> we have universal RFC 2544 for performance benchmarks of
> network devices like routers , etc. i was wondering and
> it's just a thought, shouldn't cisco or other vendors
> give performance specifications of their products based
> on this RFC or other standards? doesn't the customer
> need to know for example in his/her normal network, what
> is the throughput of this router with say static routing
> or else? aren't these information important for the
> buyer? if yes, are any documents with these information
> exist?

Given that different networks have fairly specific
requirements when it comes to kit, such needs are normally
covered in greatest detail by "test driving the network
before you buy" (to paraphrase a known vendor).

You can always get additional information from peers on this
list, blogs on the web, e.t.c., but for more specific
requirements, suggest you talk to Cisco or whichever vendor
you prefer to start testing what you need.

Mark.