[c-nsp] N7k: Attaching a service-policy to an SVI

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Sep 2 10:49:28 EDT 2010

Hi Matt, Arie,

Yes, the documentation is incorrect in that section, I will work to
get that updated.

Arie is right, you apply qos service policies to the vlan itself, not
the SVI, in NXOS. That's to decouple SVI creation and policy
application for vlans.

For an L2 switchport, L3 interface, or L3 subinterface:
int x/y[.z]
  service-policy in|out foo

For an entire VLAN:
vlan x
  service-policy in|out foo

Note however that in an upcoming release (5.1) we will be changing
that to be in line with the new IOS convention of putting VLAN config
under the "vlan-configuration" mode, like this:

vlan configuration x
  service-policy in|out foo

That change is to decouple VLAN creation and policy application for
VLANs (specifically to support VTP client, where you may want to tie
a policy to a VLAN that has not been learned through VTP yet).

Hope that helps,
Tim

At 06:43 AM 9/2/2010, Arie Vayner (avayner) vociferated:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Distinguished Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759