[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 multicast traffic - strange behavior

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 07:34:48 EDT 2010

Simple answer is that the group matches up to the link local MAC address
block which is always used for 224.0.0.0/24 groups. Unfortunately the
7600/6500 does the filtering at layer two still, newer platforms typically
do l3 filtering.  Groups x.0.0.0 x.128.0.0 match to the 00-01-5e-00-00-xx
range.  There is a 32:1 overlap on MAC addresses for the mulicast addresses.
These are always flooded. Best practice is to never use these ranges.

Hope this helps.