[c-nsp] DNS Naming conventions for Switches

Murphy, William William.Murphy at uth.tmc.edu
Fri Sep 3 10:48:20 EDT 2010

We use CNAME which equals the hostname configured on the device.  The CNAME
points to the management interface of the device.  For example a layer-2
switch uses VLAN 100 for management in our environment so we have A record
like son-4n-l2-1-vl100.domain and CNAME son-4n-l2-1 that points to this A
record.  For routers/l3 switch we have loopbacks and our convention is to
use Loopback 0 for the management interface, hence A record of
son-3s-l3-1-lo0.domain with CNAME son-3s-l3-1 which points to this A record.
devices.