[c-nsp] Customers routers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Sep 5 17:45:01 EDT 2010

On Sunday, September 05, 2010 07:16:36 am Michael K. Smith
wrote:

> In my opinion, BGP is best for inter-AS communications.
> Granted, your customer may not have their own AS, but
> they are autonomous from your network, so the buffer
> that BGP provides is more suited to the task.  With BGP,
> you don't have to worry about what the customer network
> looks like. Since it's an autonomous system, you only
> receive and announce routes according to what is
> configured.  With OSPF, your customer has an increased
> ability to affect the routing within your domain.

Agree.

For l3vpn's, we only use BGP and static routing for PE-CE
links.

While our kit can support OSPF, RIP and a few other IGP's
across an l3vpn toward a customer, we deliberately refuse to
support them.

In as far as management goes, most customers willing to
manage their own CE router either have some BGP knowledge or
are willing to learn from us. In the majority of cases,
however, it's a so-called "Managed Service" from us, so it
makes no difference and we just go with BGP or static routes
anyway.

Of course, when it comes to pure public IP peering (i.e.,
not l3vpn's), then it's not even a question. BGP is obvious.

Cheers,

Mark.