[c-nsp] hsrp/vrrp with mpls vpn's

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:30:31 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 8 September 2010 08:44, Michael Sprouffske <msprouffske at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, I have this hsrp lab setup with a coulple PE routers and come CE routers.  Everything works and all is well.  I wanna know how the 2 PE routers that are playing in the hsrp role notify other PE routers upstream or if they do.  So for example, I have one CE1 router attached to  PE1 and PE2  and they are doing hsrp and it works well. I also have PE3 and PE4 attached to CE2.   How do PE1 and PE2 communicate the hsrp stuff to PE3 and PE4 or do they need to?  How does PE3 and PE4 know where to send packets?

They don't notify anyone in normal circumstances. HSRP address is only
used by traffic from CEs towards PEs. In the other direction normally
both PEs advertise the same 'connected' network, and the rest of the
network decides which PE to use for particular CE. Some further
configuration might be required if you want to prevent a situation
when both routers become HSRP 'masters' when  for example the
interface doesn't go down, but there is a break in connectivity
somewhere further down the line.

kind regards
Pshem