[c-nsp] Cisco 7609, LR Transceiver for Short Distance Connection

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Sep 9 15:43:36 EDT 2010

I asked a transport guy (I couldn't even pretend to be one) and he said that
the answer depends on the equipment.  Each device/card should have an
overload rating and a damage rating.  Exceeding the former will cause damage
and/or degradation over time and exceeding the latter will cause more
immediate problems.  I would purchase the attenuators, they are literally 1
dollar.  However, if your in a pinch you can measure the signal levels at
the far end and just make sure that they are not hazardous to your
equipment.