[c-nsp] Cisco 7609, LR Transceiver for Short Distance Connection

Christopher.Marget at usc-bt.com Christopher.Marget at usc-bt.com
Fri Sep 10 10:21:19 EDT 2010

>>> *Maximum* transmit power is 4 dBm and max receive is -1 dBm, so an
>>> attenuator is certainly highly recommended for short distances.

>> "Minimum cabling distance for -LR, -SR, -LX4, -ER modules is 2m,
>> according to the IEEE 802.3ae standard"

> And?

The linked document (which you trimmed) specifically says that an attenuator is required for an ER link <20km (underscoring your point), but doesn't mention that requirement for the OP's LR link.

I guess you didn't find the link to information regarding minimum cable lengths, and attenuator requirement relevant to the discusstion?

I hope that the OP, and the commenter running 1m LR links, and the commenter who suggested running short ER links without an attenuator find it useful.

<shrug>

/chris