[c-nsp] QoS on ingress

Ben Steele ben at bensteele.org
Fri Sep 10 15:03:16 EDT 2010

There isn't much you can do here if your provider isn't willing to play
ball.

What I would suggest is policing your ingress for all but your voip traffic
to about 10% less than your maximum throughput, assuming the majority of
your user traffic is tcp this should give you enough overhead for a voip
stream or 2 depending on your codec.

The last thing you want to do is try and run the T1 to capacity as you are
at the peril of your providers egress policy whether that be policing,
shaping or just tail drop, either one you don't want for your voip traffic.